Discussion

CS Equity and Access: Roll Call from Around the World!

Welcome to our Equity and Access in CS Community Group! This CS for All Teacher Community is a newly created interactive group that focuses on Equity and Access in computer science for all. It is meant to be driven by engagement, reflection and action. Our goal is to call out equity at all levels of Computer Science education including awareness, access, engagement, achievement, integration and impact in the world around us. We are extremely excited to get to share resources, ideas and basically learn from you. Remember we are all teachers and we are all learners! Andrea and I need you to help us make this an interactive and informative group for all teachers! We need you to be active members that contribute to the overall existence of this group as well as share this group with others in your networks. To help us with our GRAND REVEAL of this group, we first want to get to know who the members are of this group.

Once you join our group, introduce yourself to the group using this Discussion Thread (name, city/state/country, grade level, favorite snack) and anything else you would like us to know about you. Feel free to post a picture of your family, pets favorite vacation etc. Anything that represents who you are.

And last but not least, we would like for you to participate in our interactive Roll Call Map from Around the World. Drop a pin on our interactive Google Map and let us know where you are from. (click here to see how to add your pin)

Comments

Profile picture for user kgoldhirsch
Submitted by Kim Goldhirsch on Fri, 09/04/2020 - 15:28

Kim Goldhirsch, Red Hook, NY, USA,

Teaching CS to grades 6-8 for 32 years

In reply to by Kim Goldhirsch

Profile picture for user vkajones
Submitted by Vanessa Jones on Wed, 09/09/2020 - 22:43

Welcome Kim,

We are super excited to have you join our group and our rollcall!

Profile picture for user carol.fletcher@utexas.edu
Submitted by Carol Fletcher on Tue, 09/08/2020 - 10:08

I'm Carol Fletcher. I'm the founder of WeTeach_CS and direct the EPIC program at UT Austin. We focus on building CS teacher capacity and helping existing teachers to become certified CS teachers with the goal of bring high quality CS experiences to a more diverse range of students in K-12. I'm a former middle school science teacher turned CS Evangelist and excited to be a part of this group! WeTeach_CS lightbulb

In reply to by Carol Fletcher

Profile picture for user vkajones
Submitted by Vanessa Jones on Wed, 09/09/2020 - 22:47

Welcome Carol,

Thank you for helping to spark my passion and advocacy in computer science! We are looking forward to making this group an interactive collaborative group! Please share our new group with your peers!

Profile picture for user vkajones
Submitted by Vanessa Jones on Wed, 09/09/2020 - 22:58
Pj at her birthday party

I guess I need to introduce myself!. I'm Vanessa Jones and I'm from Austin Texas and I work as an Instructional Technology Design Coach for the Austin Independent School District. My passion and advocacy is to bring awareness of computer science to all stakeholders including parents, students, teachers, administrators and community.

I love to travel and give my dogs birthday parties.

Profile picture for user awilsonvazquez
Submitted by Andrea Wilson Vazquez on Mon, 09/14/2020 - 17:04

Hi everyone! I'm so glad to be here and sharing in this discussion with you all -- I'm Andrea Wilson Vazquez and I'm from Minneapolis, MN. I'm an Innovative Instructional Coach at an alternative high school in Intermediate District 287 and am also the Director of Educator Training for a local non-profit, Code Savvy.

My teaching background is as a teacher of English learners and I enjoy engaging students with a variety of unique learning needs through creative problem solving with technology. I am passionate about the role of equity in computer science and maker education and the ways that those fields empower all learners to develop a growth mindset in which they see themselves as confident, creative, critical thinkers.

I am sincerely looking forward to sharing this space with all of you and am thrilled to co-facilitate this group with @VanessaJones!!

In my spare time, I love to kayak and explore new parks!

Welcome and thank you again for engaging!